Here are 10 gifts (in no particular order) that are sure to make any mom "oooo, ahhh, ohhh," and think she's raised the most thoughtful, caring, world-friendly child in the world.
1. "Don't Give Up [Africa]" duet by Alicia Keys and Bono available as a download on iTunes. All proceeds benefit Keep A Child Alive, the nonprofit organization partnered with the ONE campaign actively working to combat the AIDS pandemic ravaging Africa.
2. Light of Love Candle with a soothing lavender scent available in sets also on The Animal Rescue Site. With each candle, or set, purchased The Animal Rescue Site will fund 14.0 bowls of food for animals living in sanctuaries or shelters. The candles are made of a lavender colored blend of soy and paraffin waxes and the wicks are 100% lead and zinc free. Soy wax burns cleaner, longer and with less heat than pure paraffin wax. Single candles sell $3.95 and a set of 5 sells for $15.95.
3. Elegant Pashmina Scarf 70% pashmina, 30% raw silk, handmade, hand dyed, hand knotted and fair trade imported from India available on The Rainforest Site. With each scarf purchased, The Rainforest Site will preserve 2290.0 square feet of land. The scarves are available in 4 different colors and are on sale now for $19.95 each.
4. Darling Daisy Shopping Tote by Freeset Bags available on The Literacy Site for only $14.00. With each tote purchased The Literacy Site will fund 1.0 children(s) books to various causes. Darling Daisy Shopping Totes are made of 100% eco-friendly, natural and renewable jute fiber and come in 3 different colors. Handmade and fair trade from India, Freeset Bags tell the individual stories of women rescued from sex trafficking in North Calcutta, India and empowered to live a life of dignity, earning a decent wage while working decent hours with the opportunity to become literate and serve as role models to their daughters and other young women showing them how to break the cycle of poverty and forced prostitution.
5. The Words and Inspiration of Mother Teresa -- LOVE (Hardcover) book available on The Child Health Site for $14.95. With each book purchased, The Child Health Site will fund health services to save or improve the lives of 4.5 children. Inspiring all to believe in the power of love for each other, this wonderful book contains quotes, pictures, and excerpts from Noble Peace Prize-winning humanitarian and Catholic Nun, Mother Teresa.
6. Solar Sunflower Garden Stake available on The Breast Cancer Site starting at $12.00. Each environmentally friendly sunflower is made of heavy-duty resin and mounted atop an easy-to-use garden stake. Also available in sets, the solar LED light in each stake stores the sun's rays during the day and then creates a gentle glow through the sunflower at night.
7. Yachana Jungle Chocolate from Yachana Gourmet available on The Hunger Site comes in 4 different mouth-watering all natural, fair trade, vegan varieties: Pineapple; Macadamia Nuts; Brazil Nuts and Coffee; and Raisin and Coconut. From the rainforest of Ecuador, these cocoa beans are sun-dried, slow-roasted, coarsely cracked, and sweetened with fresh sugar cane juice creating an end result of pure unprocessed chocolate heaven. The 2 oz. boxes sell for $4.95 and with the purchase of each box The Hunger Site will fund 25.0 cups of food for various charities.
8. Instant Karma CD featuring 23 John Lennon songs sung by today's top artists including U2, Los Lonely Boys, Lenny Kravitz, Big & Rich, Avril Lavigne, Black Eyed Peas, Regina Spektor, Green Day, Aerosmith, Christina Aguerila, Jackson Browne, R.E. M. and more sells for a mere $11.95 from Amnesty International USA with proceeds supporting Amnesty International's work for human rights in Darfur and around the world.
9. Sterling Silver Bear Necklace from the Willow Creek Trading Company available for only $19.95 from The Vital Ground Foundation. Both beautiful and unique, this necklace, which I own, never fails to draw attention. With proceeds from the sale of each necklace supporting Vital Ground's work to reconnect fragmented landscapes in the U.S. and Canada critical to wildlife movement and biodiversity, this piece of jewelry creates a fashion statement as great as the Great Bear itself.
10. Baby Bear Stone Cast Coasters by Big Sky Carvers come in a set of four and are sure to not only bring a bit of the West into any home, but are sure to protect mom's treasured coffee tables and other surfaces from annoying water rings. Also available from The Vital Ground Foundation and with proceeds supporting Vital Ground's important land trust work, these charming conversation starters sell for only $15.00. I own multiple sets of these too!
So, there you go...10 fantastic Mother's Day gifts all for under $20.00 and all that benefit someone or something else in the world while telling your mom how much you love her and how much you care.